What happens when SIM card is changed?

What happens when SIM card is changed?

Postby jswin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:49 am

Okay, I got a new phone and had it activated, with a request to move my old number and minutes to the new phone. I was told by the Net10 tech support person to wait an hour and it should be done. I waited a couple hours and it still wasn't done so I called back.The next tech support person had me push buttons and add codes, etc. and now the phone was activated and working. However, it had its own new number and none of my old minutes. When I pointed this out, the tech support person said she would send me a SIM card and when I receive it I should call them to activate it and transfer my old number and minutes to the new phone.Okay, inconvenience and aggravation aside, I finally got the new SIM card. I'm afraid to put it in the new phone because it still has free minutes left on it and ringtones, contacts, games, etc., that I've been adding all week. Now it occurs to me that I should have waited because I don't know what will be erased, if anything, when I swap it out. The reason I'm asking before I call tech support is because there has already been a mistake made by them, and ... I seriously hesitate to say this, but it's a fact ... some of the tech support people speak English as a second language I'm afraid that might be the cause of the miscommunication problem.So I'm asking here in writing, before I call, what happens when you swap out a SIM card? If I'm going to lose my minutes on the new phone when the minutes from my old phone is added, I'll wait until I use up the 250 minutes I have left on the new phone. Also, is there a way to back up the contacts, etc., or will they stay on the new phone when the new card is added?
jswin

Re: What happens when SIM card is changed?

Postby Jessica1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:34 am

Good day, jswin. My name is Jessica Net and I'll be addressing your questions. Upon inserting the new SIM card, existing minutes you have on the new phone will stay on the phone; they will not be deleted since minutes are programmed on the phone not on the SIM card. Also, before you will insert the new SIM card and activate it move all your contacts from SIM to phone memory found under Contacts menu so that when new SIM card is inserted you will still have your Contacts. I believe this answers your question. It's been a pleasure helping you. Have a good day.
Jessica1

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general NET10 discussions.