Can't *RECEIVE* MMS? Read Me!

Can't *RECEIVE* MMS? Read Me!

Postby Jay Aristide » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:44 pm

So,

After three hour+ calls to Net10 Tech Support and over a hundred hours of research and troubleshooting online, I figured out why I couldn't receive MMS and fixed it for ten bucks.

It turns out that my AT&T micro-SIM was faulty, and that no amount of troubleshooting would fix it. I asked Net10 on the phone if the issue could be a bad SIM, and the rep said "No. If it were a faulty SIM, nothing would work".

After thinking it might be the issue, myself, and finding a post here where someone said a new SIM got them working, I went to Dollar General and picked up a BYOP SIM kit (which comes with T-Mo and both micro and standard sized AT&T SIMs), transferred my existing Net10 number to it, and about fifteen minutes after the new SIM started working, I was able to receive MMS just fine.

If you can send and receive SMS, and can send but not receive MMS, do the following to check for a faulty SIM:

In your Messaging app, go into Settings and uncheck "Auto-Retrieve MMS"
Send yourself a picture mesage larger than 50kb
Wait for the text to come back
If the attachment waiting to be downloaded is 32kb or less, you have a faulty SIM. Go buy a new SIM kit and transfer your number.

While this issue happened with my Nexus 4, it's completely device independent, so if you're able to send but not receive mms, and ESPECIALLY if you're on AT&T, then try this.

I pulled my hair out for a week trying to fix this. I wrote this post in hopes of saving the rest of you the trouble. If there's any wisdom on these forums, this will get stickied to the top of every GSM forum here.

-Jay
Jay Aristide

Re: Can't *RECEIVE* MMS? Read Me!

Postby beppa » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:38 pm

I hope it is something very easy! I kinda wish I had never switched to freaking net10! I can't send mms, but I have an iphone 3gs, not sure what the issue could be. I sent an mms to myself, and I received it! IDK--pulling hair out! :shock:
beppa

Postby Jay Aristide » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm

/bump because this is useful information and should be stickied somewhere :-)
Jay Aristide

Postby Jay Aristide » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

beppa wrote:I hope it is something very easy! I kinda wish I had never switched to freaking net10! I can't send mms, but I have an iphone 3gs, not sure what the issue could be. I sent an mms to myself, and I received it! IDK--pulling hair out! :shock:

If you're able to send yourself an MMS, I doubt your SIM is the problem. Pretty sure iCrap has to be jailbroken and modified before it will work.

Good luck!
Jay Aristide

Postby zenyosh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 am

So what exactly were your APN settings? I've read several forums where multiple people have put in new sims yet still have the same problem. And these are sims that have sometimes been sent out by net10 and sometimes bought in a store. I might have to give it a try, though, as no one seems to be 100% sure. If it worked for you, great. But that would mean there are quite a few faulty sims out there. Furthermore, it seems to affect nexus 4 users proportionately higher. Just my 2 cents.
zenyosh

Postby Jay Aristide » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am

Name: Net 10
APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80

Everything else left alone. The only other thing I can think of that I did around that time is I went to the website and on the new SIM I selected to auto-renew the $50 plan.

Hope this helps,
-Jay
Jay Aristide

Postby Jay Aristide » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 am

For ten bucks, it's definitely worth a shot :-)
Jay Aristide

Postby Jay Aristide » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:55 pm

/bump for usefulness
Jay Aristide

Postby Jay Aristide » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm

/bump :)
10char
Jay Aristide

Postby frank33v » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for the post on my thread about this Jay.

So you bought a new net10 sim correct? Is a new minutes/data pin required also with the new sim. Are the minutes/data lost from the old sim.

I just bought this kit at best buy with the three sims. I supposed I could cut down the larger att sim that came with the kit ???
frank33v

Next

Return to LG