W408g mass storage device not recognized

W408g mass storage device not recognized

Postby mike1225 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

I have tried to connect my Motorola W408g to my computer via USB, but the computer never recognizes the phone as a mass storage device. I have it set to store pictures and videos on the 2g micro SD memory card. However, when I took a test picture and tried to look for it stored on the SD card it was not there.
mike1225

Re: W408g mass storage device not recognized

Postby Jessica1 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 am

Good day, mike1225. My name is Jessica Net and I'll be addressing your concern. First of all we need to know if this memory card comes with the phone when you purchased it and second of all did you set the memory card as the primary storage of the phone? Please let us know to further assist you with your concern. Thank you.
Jessica1

Postby mike1225 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

My SD card did not come with the phone. I purchased it at the same time at Best Buy. It is a 2g PNY micro SD card. I formatted it using the phone and have the phone set to store pictures on it and not the internal drive. I also bought the USB cable at Best Buy.
mike1225

Postby Jessica1 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Is your phone recognizing the memory card or not at all? Also, your phone supports Microsoft® Windows® XP and Windows Vista™. Other operating systems may not be compatible. Try steps below and let me know if it works.

1 With your phone in the home screen, insert the USB cable in your phone and your Windows® PC.

2 On your phone, press Yes to connect your phone’s memory card as a storage device.

Note: When your phone is plugged into a PC and is being used as a mass storage device, it cannot be used for anything else. To restore the phone to normal use, disconnect it from the PC.

3 Now that you’ve connected, use Windows Media Player or USB drag and drop to copy your music.

To transfer music files to your phone:

1 On your Windows PC, open Windows Media Player 10 or later.

2 On the “Sync” tab, select “More Options”. Under Devices, select “Removable Disk”.

3 Drag your music files over to the “Sync List” and press “Start Sync”.

To transfer music files to your memory card:

1 On your Windows PC, open Windows Media Player 10 or later.

2 On the “Sync” tab, select “More Options”. Under Devices, select “Removable Disk” (memory card) and rename to “W408G Mobile”.

3 Select “Properties”, check the “Create folder hierarchy on device” box, and click “OK”.

4 Drag your music files over to the “Sync List” and press “Start Sync”.

USB drag & drop

To transfer music files to your memory card:

1 Use the “My Computer” window to find “Removable Disk” (memory card).

2 Drag and drop your music to your memory card’s Music folder. To help manage your music, you can create more folders in your memory card.

3 When you’re done, use the “Safely Remove Hardware” feature to finish.
Jessica1

Postby mike1225 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I am running Vista SP2. As I explained above, I have inserted a PNY 2 GB micro SD card that I purchased myself. I formatted it on the phone and changed the phone to store pictures on the SD card, NOT the internal hard drive. I turned the phone ON. I inserted the USB cable in to the phone and the other end in to the computer. It starts charging the phone. It does not recognize the phone as an external storage device. The phone stays on the "Airtime due" screen saver. A window pops up that says, "Changed ring and volume to loud ring". The phone then makes a ringing sound. No other prompts come up. Above you state,"On your phone, press Yes to connect your phone’s memory card as a storage device". Press yes to what? No prompts asking me to say yes to anything come up! I check for external devices on the computer and none are listed. The computer simply doesn't recognize that the phone is plugged in (except to charge it). Apparently from the many BLOGS online, many many people with NET10 phones are experiencing the same problem, not just people with the Motorola W408g, but many other phones as well. Just Google "Net10 doesn't recognize phone as external storage device" and you'll see what I mean! All have NET10 service. I found this posted online, "Motorola W375 phone will not download to computer via USB cable as indicated above. Net10 has the upper memory/Flash on the Motorola phone, pictures, ringtones disabled. Customer support will not tell you this either, only after many phone calls-emails did I find this out after sending phone back to Net10. Buyers BEWARE!!" This person has a different phone with the same problem. Any truth in what he is saying? Any suggestions?
mike1225

Postby Jessica1 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

Good day, mike1225. We have contacted an appropriate department and have found out that we do not support transferring of files from phone to a computer and this service has been disabled. You can only use USB cable when charging the phone using a computer. Also, you must check the memory card as it is not being recognized by the system and it may not compatible with your phone. Thank you.
Jessica1

Postby mike1225 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Thank you for the honest feedback. The blogger mentioned above was right, BUYER BEWARE!
Last edited by mike1225 on Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike1225

Postby mike1225 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 am

I will never buy another Net10 phone. This is the last. This is blatant false advertising. I am sending a letter this morning to the Florida attorney general concerning this matter! I will also post copies of your response on Howards forum regarding this issue to warn others about this. Buyer Beware!
mike1225

Return to Motorola