Unlimited Plan Data Question

Thank you for visiting the NET10 Forum, your one-stop resource for NET10 information.

Unlimited Plan Data Question

Postby Mojavejava » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 pm

I'll be upgrading to a smartphone and have been trying to decide between the Net10 and Straight Talk Unlimited Plans (I understand both companies are owned by Tracfone). However, I just learned that the data portion of Straight Talk's "Unlimited" Plan is actually extremely limited in that the service can be used ONLY for internet browsing through
the Straight Talk mobile web service and authorized content downloads from the Straight Talk mobile web store. Not even use of the phone's built-in GPS apps is allowed. Since I'm in a rural area where Wi-Fi availability ranges from spotty to nonexistent, this is very bad news for me.

My question: Does the Net10 Unlimited Plan place the same or similar limitations on data use?

Also, does your mobile web service allow me to browse to any site on the Internet or am I limited to a small number of pre-selected sites?
Mojavejava

Re: Unlimited Plan Data Question

Postby Net - George » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Mojavejava,

My name is Net10 George and I will be addressing your question. The Net10 Unlimited Plan has the same or similar limitations with Straight Talk on data usage. Your phone is allowed to access different sites except from tethering your phone to another device like laptop; doing this will use massive data on your phone.
Net - George

Postby Mojavejava » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi George,

I had no intention of tethering my phone to another device (there wouldn't even be a point as all my devises already have Internet access), nor was I planning to stream music/video. What I was hoping to do is read my favorite blogs and use a GPS Navigation app such as Google Maps Navigation to provide voice-guided directions while driving. Can I do this with the Net10 Unlimited Plan?
Mojavejava

Postby Net - George » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi Mojavejava,

As long as your phone won't be using excessive amount of data then you can. Thanks.
Net - George

Postby Mojavejava » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am

Hi again,

Could you give me a general idea of what's considered an "excessive amount" of data? Also, does voice-guided GPS Navigation consume a lot of data? I honestly don't know.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, what kind of data speeds can I expect? Will I receive 3G speeds where available or will my data service be throttled to Edge speeds (or worse)?
Mojavejava

Postby Net - George » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Mojavejava,

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

Section 7 of our Terms and Condition states, STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit
others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.
Net - George

Postby Mojavejava » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Regarding "STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit," does this mean I can't use apps that require Internet access (such as the Square credit card processing app or Google Maps Navigation) if they weren't pre-installed when I bought the phone?

Also, could you answer my previous question about data speeds. Will I receive 3G speeds where available or will my data service be throttled to Edge speeds (or worse)?
Mojavejava

Postby ddawn98 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Why is it that applications like YouTube and Google music are included as native applications on the android phone and (and cannot be removed) but cannot be used without limitation or it will violate the terms of service?

RE:
... (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video ...

It has a camera and a camcorder app that is defaulted to share pictures and videos with Facebook and Messaging which cannot be used or it will violate the terms of service?

RE:
... (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video ...
ddawn98

Postby Stewart » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 am

ddawn98 wrote:Why is it that applications like YouTube and Google music are included as native applications on the android phone and (and cannot be removed) but cannot be used without limitation or it will violate the terms of service?

I like this question and I would like to hear an answer to it as well.
Stewart

Postby geldib » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 pm

i would also like to figure this out, it seems my 3g speed has been cut in half or more and i assumed it was because of watching youtube on my new smartphone
geldib

Next

Return to Welcome